Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, March 7, 2011

Strawberry Cake


this strawberry cake is Fabulous! I made this cake, for the first time, to serve at church and it got wonderful reviews.  I did, however, tweak the recipe a bit.  I used a bunt pan instead of the 'three round pans' and I also did not use the icing in the recipe.  Instead I used a store bought cream cheese icing, scooped some out into a bowl, softened it for about 8 seconds in the microwave and mixed in some smashed strawberries to make a drizzle. 

*I used fresh strawberries instead of frozen.

**please note if you use a bunt pan as I did, you will need to increase the cook time of the cake to about ONE HOUR or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.   

Ingredients:
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed *(I used fresh strawberries)
6 tablespoons butter
2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). **Grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
2.In a large bowl, dissolve the gelatin in cold water; stir in the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, flour and 1/2 of the strawberries. Beat for 5 minutes on the medium speed of an electric mixer. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
3.**Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the layers spring back when lightly pressed in the center. Cool cakes in the pans on wire racks.

I did not use this frosting...but this is the suggested frosting to use when making the layered cake.  I will try this frosting the next time.
4.To Make Frosting: Cream the butter, sugar and the remaining half of the strawberries in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, adding additional confectioners' sugar if needed for a spreadable consistency. Spread the frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake.

I hope you enjoy this strawberry cake as much as we did. 

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment